Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide was made famous by deaths that occur during sleep. Victims suffered no pain or discomfort.

They basically just went to bed and never woke up.

What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, tasteless, and odorless gas that is very dangerous to human beings.

It can be given off by a host of household appliances. Which is why it can accumulate to hazardous levels right in your home.

Where it comes from

It’s such an irony that we need to eliminate it from our lives. Yet a lot of the machinery we need for our lifestyles produce it all the time.

Exhaust pipes

The most well-known source of this poisonous gas is from the car.

It seems that every now and then we read about sad reports in the news of people dying in their cars or garage because they left the car engine running.

This is why one should never voluntarily stand near an automobile’s exhaust. It’s just unhealthy practice.

Heating systems

While heating systems in a home would seldom pose a carbon monoxide risk is it was set up properly, the risk is whether the system was installed by a competent contractor.

Faulty systems might continue working for a long time without any problems. But all the time, the gas accumulates within the house due to inadequate venting.

So make it a point to ensure that furnaces, boilers, and chimneys are vented effectively.

Cooking appliances

Cooking stoves can present a danger in terms of carbon monoxide.

Always ensure that there is proper ventilation when cooking.

Generators

Keeping a portable generator at home is not only practical, it is sort of cool too.

Generators can be a lifesaver in times of need. Other than that it can present an immediate danger by itself when used indoors.

Generators should only be used outdoors and some distance away from a house.

They produce substantial amount of the gas. And therefore should be taken lightly.

Signs of carbon monoxide poisoning

Because of how common this gas is due to the appliances and equipment we use daily, it is important to recognize symptoms of poisoning so that action can be immediately take to rectify the situation.

Some of the symptoms include:

  • Headache
  • Shortness of breath
  • Dizziness
  • Chest pain
  • Nausea
  • Fainting
  • Disorientation

If for example you are cooking in an enclose kitchen and suddenly feel faint, carbon monoxide could be a possible cause. In this case, quickly stop whatever you are doing and open the windows for fresh air.

Even better. Get out of the house and see if your condition improves.

If carbon monoxide is a particular concern in the family, then getting detectors installed make a lot of sense.